If you’re looking for a portable generator to power sensitive electronics, you’ll want to consider a portable generator with low THD.
Total harmonic distortion (THD) is the amount that a voltage waveform or current is distorted. High THD reduces the efficiency of a portable generator.
Low THD is requires for sensitive electronics, look for inverter generators to run these as they have lower THD levels.
Portable generator’s THD usually ranges from 1-2% up to 25%. Generators are considered to produce clean power under 6% THD.
Inverter generators and smaller generators typically have lower THD than larger generators.
Best Portable Generators with Low THD
We believe the 3 best portable generators with low THD are the following:
- Westinghouse iGen2200
- Champion 2000
- Honda EU2200i
Westinghouse iGen2200 Inverter Generator (Portable Generator With Low THD)
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is highly portable, so even if you move from one city to another, it’s not a problem to carry it around with you to your new home. In addition, it’s equipped with a kick start device and a wireless connection.
You can conveniently operate it remotely from your mobile phone, but you must be within 80 feet of the generator. This generator can easily run for 12 hours with no problem if you have fuel at total capacity in the tank.
It’s also supplied with a steel frame that allows the generator to operate in quiet mode. Unlike many other generators, this generator can only produce a noise level of 68 dBa, which is negligible if you are in a dense residential building.
Apart from gas heat furnaces, you can efficiently operate a sump pump, televisions, and power tools while you’re experiencing a simple power outage in your area.
Apart from an additional RV connection, it has two sockets with 120V each. It also has a monitor that informs you about the voltage, operating hours, hertz, and heating. The oil shortage sensor shows you when to fill the tank or stop the appliance.
- With a 196cc engine and battery, you can start your machine easily.
- It’s supplied with an ignition switch equipped with Cold Start Technology so that the machine remains in operation even in the cold season.
- If you’re within 80 feet of the generator, you can easily control the stop and start button from your smartphone using the built-in mobile connection available with the generator.
- Four outlets are available. 2 sockets with 120V, 30A power source, and two sockets with 120V 20A power source.
- It also includes a built-in surge protector that protects your devices from any overload problems.
- Three years warranty from the manufacturer
- Start and stop remote control.
- Water-resistant to a certain degree
- Supplied with folding handle
- Includes additional RV connectors
- CARB Compliant
- Three year warranty
- The oil change could be a little difficult due to the position of the dipstick
Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Generator
The Champion 2000 Watt Generator stands out in that it’s one of the most affordable option on this list.
There’s no lack of compromise with performance because this generator gets up to 11.5 hours of run time on gasoline at 25% load (Up to 34 hours on propane).
It’s also one of the lightest generator in its class at under 40 lbs. This, along with its convenient top handle makes the Champion 2000 easily portable.
- 79 cc 4 Stoke OHV Engine
- Includes two covered 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD)
- Starting Watts: 2,000/Running Watts: 1,700
- Noise level: 53 dB
- Demensions (in): 17.3 x 11.5 x 17.7
- Weight: 39.5 lbs
- Includes USB Adapter, battery charging cables, engine oil, and oil funnel.
- CARB Compliant
- EPA Certified
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Long run time
- Not as quiet as others
Honda EU2200i Inverter Generator With Low THD
The Honda EU2200i Inverter Generator is a unique and user-friendly generator that features a portable design. It has a black and red signature of its housing, a very thick carrying handle, and a compact design.
With this machine, you’ll get a low noise level (48-57dB), fuel shutoff, and a larger section set aside to control oil. Additionally, the Honda EU2200i inverter generator produces power greater than regular generators.
The Honda EU2200i Inverter Generator is a compact and lightweight inverter generator. It is designed to be installed in a variety of spaces, including boats, RVs, and utility trailers.
- CO-MINDER system: This system is concerned with monitoring CO levels. It instantly shuts down the machine before the detected CO level close to the generator reaches a dangerous level.
- Easy to start: Feature an automatic decompression unit that greatly lowers the amount of strength required to start the engine.
- Lightweight & Portable: It weighs below 47lbs, and it is made to be very compact, allowing you to move and store it seamlessly.
- Fuel-Efficient: This model can operate for up to 8 hours using a single fuel tank, but based on the load. Delivers reliable, clean power at your disposal.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker: To protect your EU2200i against overloads, the generator is designed to have this circuit that adds extra protection.
- Oil Alert: Low oil alert that lowers the engine’s functionality as the fuel becomes too little. This feature makes the portable generator perform optimally and prevents the engine from being damaged by overworking.
- Fuel Shutoff: This feature enables the engine to run up to the point where most of the fuel in the tank is consumed before shutting off. This feature prevents stale fuel and damage to the carburetor, more so when storing the generator for a longer time.
- Advanced Inverter Technology: The Honda’s inverter technology ensures clean and reliable power output. It is suitable for sensitive devices like smartphones and computers.
- Parallel capability: This is a critical feature because it offers you the ability to connect two EU2200i inverter generators for more power to run most of your appliances.
- Great safety features including CO Minder and low oil shutdown
- Run time not as long as others
So, Which is The Best Portable Generator With Low THD?
Each of the portable generators mentioned have low THD, all under 3%. They’ll all be able to provide clean power to your sensitive electronics devices safely.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer because that will depend on your preferences, usage and budget. Below are the best in each category:
Performance– Westinghouse iGen2200
Price– Champion 2000
Portability– Champion 2000
Safety– Honda EU2200i
Noise– Honda EU2200i
Top 3 Low THD Portable Generators
We’ve discussed the best portable generators with low THD. We believe the overall best portable generator with low THD to be the Champion 2000 due to its affordability, portability, and solid run time.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 offers the longest run time and the Honda EU2200i is the most safe and most quiet option.
I’ve always been a lover of Mechanics and the engineering that goes on behind it. Naturally had a knack for fixing things and i’ve had lots of adventures that generators are second nature to me.