You need a sump pump to prevent damage from floods in your basement. As a safety measure, sump pumps are installed in the basement that pumps water out of your house when you feel the risk of flooding.
The pumps are powered electrically; therefore you must equip them before they can operate. There are cases where the storm can cause damage to the power lines and thus cause your house to suffer a power failure.
The generator to be used should have a high starting power. Sump pumps tend to use a lot of energy when starting.
The power increase can be up to 2000 watts before they stabilize and start at a continuous power of 500 watts.
To be on the safe side, you have to choose a generator with more than 2000 watts peak power. The generator size also depends on the size of your sump pump generator.
Want to know more about the question, “can a generator run a sump pump?”
Read on to learn more!
Best Generators for Sump Pump 2020 – Our Top Selection
DuroStar DS4000S 4000 Watt Portable Recoil Start Gas Fuel Generator
With a running capacity of 3300 watts, it’s a real generator that can be used very well to drive sump pumps. With a running time of up to 12.3 hours, it’s a powerful generator that ensures your house is not flooded.
The generator runs on gas. Its portable design allows it to be easily carried around. The low-noise production avoids noise pollution when operating the generator.
A four-gallon gas tank allows you to store enough fuel to run the generator during the storm period. It’s a highly effective generator. The low oil level warning avoids cases where it can be exposed to damage from a low level of oil.
- 4000 starting watts and 3300 running watts
- 7HP, 208cc OHV
- 96 gallon
- 96 noise level
- 4 outlet: 2 (120V), 1 (120V 30A)
- Heavy load
- Full power switchboard
- 3300 running watts
- No dual fuel function
Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator (CARB)
With a running capacity of 3500 watts, it is a very good generator that can power sump pumps. The low noise level makes the generator ideal for home use. The sockets are well covered, which prevents injuries.
Built-in overvoltage protection prevents examples of overloads. Your appliances are kept safe at all times. The display enables easy monitoring of voltage. The generator is equipped with various functions, making it easy to use.
- Includes a shut-off sensor for low oil and holds 0.6-quarts of oil
- Starting watts of 4375 and 3500 running watts
- With a full gas tank enjoy up to12 hours of runtime
- 68dBA noise level from 23 feet
- 4 outlet: 120V 30A locking, 120V 30A RV and two 120V 20A outlets
- Built-in volt guard surge protector to prevents overloads and keeps your appliances and equipment safe
- Convenient voltage monitoring, frequency and operating hours
- Comes with a 3-year warranty and free lifetime technical support from the manufacturer
- Safe construction
- Reliable and powerful
- Reduced noise level
- Voltage monitoring
- Only three years warranty
Firman P03607 4550/3650 Watt Recoil Start Gas Portable Generator CARB Certified
FIRMAN P03607 is part of one of the most popular powerful generators. Has running watts of 4550 and 67dB with a recoil starting system. The 208cc engine runs efficiently thanks to the phoenix fat head block.
It’s equipped with a 5-gallon fuel tank providing 14 hours of running time, the P03607 is certified by California emissions. You get easy information with a 4-in-1 data minder measuring Volts, Hertz, Hours, and low oil indicator. With a tubular roll cage construction, the P03607 is ready for work, the motorhome.
- Starting watts of 4550 and running watts of 3650
- 5 gal tank provides up to 14hrs of run-time
- 208cc engine with shut-off low oil and cast iron sleeve
- Motorhome compatible many feature control panel and covered outlets
- 4 Outlets: (2) 5-20R 20A-120V, (1) TT-30R 30A-120V RV Ready, (1) L5-30R 30A-120V Twistlock
- Weighs 111 Lbs
- Carton Measurements – 24″ x 18.1″ x 19.9″
- 3 Year Warranty
- 3650 running watts
- 14 hours running time
- Spark arrester
- Recoil start
Duromax XP12000EH 12000-Watt 18HP Portable Dual Fuel Electric Start Generator
It is a durable generator that works very well when starting a sump pump. With an operating power of 9,500 watts, it’s very effective in operating even a sump pump with a high capacity. The engine is very reliable.
It works very well with an 18 HP engine powering the generator. With dual-fuel technology, you can make use of propane or even petrol to run the generator.
- Powered by a DuroMax 18HP, 457cc DuroMax OHV Engine
- 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts,
- This generator can run on gasoline or propane giving you the opportunity of a fuel choice.
- With DuroMax MX2 technology, which enables maximum power from each of the 120 Volt receptacles. I.e. select between operating the Generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power
- Automatic shut-off sensor for low oil level
- The generator saves fuel by lowering RPMs when not in use and reduce the noise level.
- Wide selection of outlet: 2(120V household GFCI outlets), 1 (120V 30A twist lock outlet), 1 (240V 30A outlet), and 1 (240V 50A outlet)
- Powerful engine
- Dual fuel technology
- 9,500 running watts
- CARB compliant
- Somewhat expensive
Rainier R12000DF Dual-Fuel Portable Generator With Electric Start
It is a good generator that works very well in an emergency. With a dual fuel function, you can rely on it to start the sump pump using either propane or petrol.
At its peak, it reaches 12000 watts, which is sufficient to start any sump pump. With the electric start, the generator can be easily started.
The CARB compliant design allows you to achieve the best operation. With an RV-compatible design, it works very well when different appliances are powered.
The wheel kit enables the generator to be moved around quickly. With a running time of up to 17 hours, the generator is one of the most reliable generators.
- Starting watts of 12000 and running watts 9500 for gasoline; start watts of 10800 and running watts of 8550 for propane
- 6-gallon fuel tank with fuel gauge and automatic shut-off low oil level
- Single touch switch with back-up recoil start
- Outlet: 2 (5-20R 120V 20A GFCI Household Outlets), 1 (L5-30R 120V 30A Outlet), 1 (L14-30R 120V 30A Outlet), and 1 (14-50R 120/240V 50A Outlet) with two grounding ports
- 457cc OHV powerful 4-stroke engine
- 17 Hours of running time at 25% load
- Noise reduction level as low as 72dB
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- Motorhome compatible
- Wheel kit with two 10Inch wheels and 2 foam grip handles for your comfort
- 3-year limited warranty
- Dual fuel
- Electrical start
- Control panel
- CARB compliant
- High noise level
Champion Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
With this generator, you can use propane or gasoline as a source of fuel for the ultimate versatile generator. With 3100 watts it can easily drive the largest of all house sump pumps and can still power other appliances.
Thanks to the integrated handle and plastic wheels it can be easily transported to any location. It also has an electric start, which is a great solution for those who struggle with the generator of the traction cable type.
- Starting watts of 3400 and running watts of 3100
- Weight: 95.7
- Dual Fuel
- has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric start with the 3-position ignition switch
- Quick touch panel that gives you access to all your controls
- 59dBA noise level
- The runtime of 7.5 hours on gasoline
- Clean power for sensitive electronics
- Outlet: 1 (120V 30A RV), 2 (120V 20A household outlets) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- 3-year limited warranty
- Dual fuel
- Starts electrically
- Portable construction
- Parallel capable
- Heavy for output
- Limited running time on petrol
Briggs & Stratton P3000
The P3000 pumps 2600 running watts, which is enough to power a larger sump pump and help with other charging you might need during your next power outage. With only 54.6lbs and a telescoping handle and wheels, you can easily move this generator.
This portable generator has many different outputs, making it not only a great solution for sump pumps but also a solid backup power solution for the home.
This generator has an RV hookup, a cigarette lighter socket, and USB plugs and can do pretty much everything you need.
- Starting watts of 3000 and running watts of 2600
- Weighs 54.6
- 10 hours runtime at 25% Load
- 7 running amps
- 5-gallon fuel tank
- Engine Displacement 171 (cc)
- 4 (Household sockets), 1 (12 volts 30 amp locking outlet) with motorhome adaptor, DC charging socket and a USB port
- Long running time
- Not CARB compliant
How to Install a Sump Pump Generator
The connection or installation of a generator to a sump pump can be a fail-safe device that can help prevent major water damage even if the power supply to the house or building fails during a storm.
Ensure your generator is clean, dry, secure, and to be fueled and use. Also, ensure that it’s oiled, keep charge the starter battery, and have a fresh fuel supply or a proper container and siphoning device if it uses the same fuel as your car.
Place your generator at least 15 feet away from windows when the time comes to use it.
To protect the running generator from heavy rain and loose connections, make little roofs for them.
Measure the distance between the sump pump and the generator outside. Use this measurement to determine the length of an extension cable you’ll need when installing the generator to the sump pump. Fill the generator with fuel until the tank is full.
Start the generator, and while it is running, briefly connect the extension cable to the sump pump plug to ensure that the sump pump is working properly.
Drawing the curtain on today’s post which seeks to answer the question, “can a generator run a sump pump,” please note that you need a sump pump to prevent damage from floods in your basement. Sump pumps, as a safety measure, are installed in the basement pumping water out of your home when you encounter a flooding risk.
The pumps are powered electrically; therefore, you must equip them before they can operate. There are cases in which the storm can cause damage to the power lines and thus cause your house to suffer a power failure. The generator to be used should have a high starting power.